Tuesday 22 December 2009

Gallows - Live Review

The Old Fire Station, Bournemouth 10th December

When I sneaked into Gallow’s soundcheck last night, Frank Carter was nowhere to be seen (which was a shame, because I was going to ask him for a tattoo). However, the rest of the band from Watford instantly deafened me, and I mean instantly. The sheer sound they produced was like being hit in the face with a giant wok, only more profound - and evil. I rounded to stage front expecting to see the remaining members rocking out and was mildly amused to see them all stood completely still, resembling human-sized monoliths or guards at Buckingham Palace. The truth is, these boys have been on tour for a while now, and as Drummer Lee Barratt told me before the show, they were all extremely tired, trying to save their energy for the gig itself, hence the unanimated soundcheck.

This told me one thing; these boys mean it. And boy did that become clear as they came onstage, virtually breathing fire and blood through a wall of violent intensity. Gallows ripped through their setlist without ever letting up. The crowd went bonkers, and so did the band; with stage dives and bloodied faces, shamelessly screaming and roaring into the faces of those who paid to see them, begging for more. There were walls of death in the crowd, shoes and legs flying everywhere – somewhat resembling and old cartoon fight - you know the ones - just a ball of smoke with arms and legs poking out of it. Carter was mesmerising; the inked - up ginger psycho is the heartbeat of Gallows, and I couldn’t take my eyes off him. With that distinctive voice, standout tracks Misery, London is the Reason, The Vulture and In the Belly of a Shark brought a new meaning to the word intense. I left the venue with my ears ringing and my mouth open.
4/5

No comments: